Thursday, March 22, 2012

2nd Hospital & diplomatic departure to Chen village

There are 3.2 million people in Harbin and 38.2 million in Heilongjiang province.

So our trip to the centre, 20 mins by taxi means that we are actually quite central. I have a map on my wall, but it's in Chinese characters, so apart from the Tiger, train (pictures for Siberian Tiger Zoo & railway station) and the river, it's not much use. I have circled my uni and the neighbouring Lin Da (Wood University) where my pool is.

I'm experiencing the delights and drawbacks of being a visitor of the People's republic of China. We were invited to dinner by the vice president and dean today. Three big tables with a group of Malaysian students and Russian osteopaths from Vladivostok (6 hrs away). Was very loud with endless toasts of bai jiu (white spirit!) and pijiao (beer). I stuck to the sprite!


It's been an epic trying to get my trip to Chenjiagou (Chen village) to train with Grandmaster Chen XiaoWang approved. So I took it to the top, rather waiting for the minions to say no. Yesterday at our introduction to the president of the uni, after all the politenesses and speeches for the video camera they asked us if we had any other questions...I just blurted out, yes, I want to go and see Master Chen! After a few explanations from my teacher and the others, there was no definite yes.

On the bus to the 2nd Affliliated Hospital yesterday the tutor said that if we want to leave Harbin we need to give her contact numbers, travel details, dates etc. I supplied the info, but again today another Confucius Institute director asked me who was going to meet me from the train. Apparently the number I gave them didn't work. I quickly made up something about another tour meeting me there. Then got my Chinese friend to ring the organiser and tell her to lie if the tutor rang her and say I would be met at the train station, and not the truth that I'd make my own way on the bus 2 hours and 15 min taxi journey. It's crazy! But the uni is responsible for my whereabouts here, so I suppose they're just doing their job...

The visit to The 2nd Affiliated Hospital was rather upsetting. We saw some pretty serious cases being treated with acupuncture, electroacupuncture, cupping and warm wax (a new one for me). The rehab floor was rather shocking. A children's ward where cerebral palsy Chinese and Russian babies and children were having needles and tuina (massage). Coma and car crash victims were pretty scary, but the patients' families and staff were so caring and their belief in acupuncture was encouraging.

Dinner with my Chinese language teacher tomorrow should be a hoot. Then I'll be on the overnight train at 7.07pm on Saturday 24th to Zhengzhou and Chenjiagou for a week of taijiquan with my master in his home village. Can't wait. Back on the rails two months after leaving England. The holiday continues…


View from the Director's office: north of my uni
(Heilongjiang Traditional Chinese Medical Hospital)

Where are the 38.2 million people of Harbin?



Guye tempted by the sticky toffee
sour cherries and banana (I'm NOT!)



Hospital pharmacy


Dried scorpion, anyone?



Sobering moment at the rehab ward



This patient with 'mian tou' (facial paralysis)
wanted to take a picture of us with her



Train ticket to Chen village (Henan)


No comments:

Post a Comment