Saturday, June 30, 2012

Harbin part 3: finding the chi (qi) in China

Stamping and walking in circles with arms circling drawing in energy from the universe for about 20mins didn't draw a crowd, but created a real buzzy qi sensation in my hands and my whole body felt alive. Anything goes in the name of Yangsheng (health preservation). We may look like an untrained tango troup but the Dao Jia (daoist home) exercise is just one of many crazy Hunyuan (primordial chaos) forms that I have been learning here.

I'm back in Harbin after Simone's visit and our seaside trip to Dalian.

There's a very different feel, less expectation and more resolve to experience as much as I can in the remaining two months. And everyday is another day where I can only expect the unexpected!

61 days could sound like a bit of a sentence, but on the first morning back I was out at 5am for standing qigong with 2 of the most dedicated of my taiji group. One morning I ventured out at around 4.20am and there was already a solo croquet player, a couple playing badminton and of course my two old boys doing Zhanzhuang (standing qigong).

The uni taiji communist taiji teachers have taught us the taiji fan - as well as 24 hand form and 32 sword form. A bit of a whizz through.

I've just finished a brisk stroll thro various departments: a week in each of the following (if me and my chinese classsmates survived that long!): rehab, skin, cosmetic, gynaecology & Oncology.

Gynae was pretty harrowing and wonderful. Very western approach with chinese herbs. On the one hand i witnessed amazing Chinese herbal prescriptions or western procedures to unblock fallopian tubes and on the other I braved a 'elective miscarriage' condoned here as part of China's one child policy. The downside of that policy is that for when this generation get to middle age they'll have to look after their parents single-handedly, which may bring the western concept of old people's homes to China. For now they are out there enjoying park life at dawn and dusk when qi fills the air.

Oncology was a normalising and fascinating. My sharp learning curve slackened fortunately by the arrival of Pie (my Malaysian friend who I introduced to park taiji). She not only sniffed out the oncology clinics when many teachers denied their existence but she snuck out of cardio and nephro clinic to translate for me. The teacher had no idea how basic my Chinese is. I think my accent must be quite good as I can say a few set phrases and then they're off. The first afternoon I thought my head would explode as the teacher went into lengthy explanations of each case and the 4 causes of cancer in Chinese medicine - damp, phlegm, Liver Stagnation or Blood clots.

Fortunately Pie arrived on day 2 and my Chinese bluff was called! It was fine but he invited us to stay for 2 afternoon clinics and if I wasn't overheating I was falling asleep. One afternoon the heat and pressure from patient's families got all too much and the doctor left his desk, sat on the bed and lit a CIGARETTE! The highest risk factor for cancer!

Apparently Dr Zhang Jia Kang was calling me XiNing 'lasohi' (teacher - which is a sign of respect - not just because I'm old 'lao'!). I must be getting used to my Chinese name as several times the doctor calling me woke me out of a doze whilst taking a patient's pulse!

That's what happens when I miss my after lunch 30 minute power nap when I'm wired up to my TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation) machine or pincushioned by a selection of needles.

Deadlines for essays are 21 July so big push with my Breast Cancer journal article. Then I'm free to learn at my leisure for the last month.

Entertainment this month:
Guy's birthday (same day as sister Sarah's) - sushi lunch and basketball match CBA - China's NBA league. Guangzhou (her home town) beat Harbin and the cheerleaders were belly dancing!
Alex's leaving do Guo Bao Rou without the karaoke thankfully.
Stone erected in front of fountain in famous Dr park - 40 yr anniversary. Big celebrartiin today with prolonged chinese opera music blaring!

No comments:

Post a Comment